Thursday, March 22, 2012

Make Ahead - Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches

The inspiration for this recipe is another Pinterest find! I have actually made this recipe twice now. I made it once in February following the directions per the original recipe. I made a few changes and wanted to share my pictures and the changes that I have made.

The first time I made this, I only made 6.... 3 following the original recipe and 3 where I scrambled the eggs instead. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures the first time around.


**I am not a fan of how the eggs look when the eggs are just cracked and baked. I have never liked that part of the true Egg McMuffins, either. I think sometimes the egg yolk doesn't look like it's fully cooked, and that really bothers me. (I am a little weird when it comes to my food. If I don't like the way it looks or smells, I can't eat it. I would blame that on the pregnancy... but that doesn't have anything to do with the pregnancy.)**


Recipe with pictures:

Make-Ahead Egg and Cheese Sandwiches

Ingredients:
12 eggs
12 English Muffins
1-2 cups of shredded cheese (depends on how much you like cheese)
chopped onion (optional)
butter (optional)

Directions:
Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease your muffin pan or a whoopie pie pan. I used a whoopie pie pan. I thought it worked great!

While the oven is pre-heating, I start getting everything else ready. I start by cutting the English Muffins in half and start toasting them. (This step is completely optional.) I toast the tops and bottoms and can toast 4 1/2 English Muffins at a time.

While they are toasting, I start working on the eggs. I use my mini-whisk from Pampered Chef and a 1-cup prep bowl (from Pampered Chef) to whisk each egg individually.

I crack 1 egg at a time, add some pepper and whisk together.


Then, I pour into one cavity of the pan. This picture was taken after I already started baking the eggs. I forgot to take a picture before I put them in the oven. I had 3 medium sized eggs left, so the first 3 in the back row are medium eggs and the rest are large eggs. They both work fine, but the large eggs spilled over the edges a little bit when I moved the pan to the oven. You bake them for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile - I butter the first round of English Muffins while the next round is toasting. I lightly butter both sides and set the top on the bottom while they are still warm to help the butter melt a little bit.

The box the English Muffins came in comes in handy. I place 3 bottom halves in there once they are buttered and it helps to hold the sandwiches as you build them. I put a few pieces of onion on the bottom half.

The eggs are finished.

I started with 1 cup of shredded cheese, but ended up using 2 cups.

Place one egg per sandwich.

Top with cheese.

Top with the other half of the English Muffin.

You can either eat now, or save for later!
 
If you decide you want to eat them later, put the sandwiches in the refrigerator or freezer for at least an hour to make sure everything is no longer warm. (The original recipe says to place them on a tray in the freezer, but I put them back in the English Muffin containers and placed them in the fridge. After about an hour, I switched the top row of sandwiches with the bottom row of sandwiches to make sure they are all cooled.)
 
Then, you want to wrap the sandwiches individually in foil and place them in a freezer safe bag.
 
*I label the foil with the date that I made them.
 
When you are ready to eat, pull out of the freezer, and open the foil. Place in the oven or toaster oven for about 20-25 minutes @ 350 degrees. I take the sandwich apart prior to reheating - to make sure the egg is warming evenly.
 
Enjoy! :)
 
 
I will definitely be making these again! They are very good and aren't too bad for you. My son loves them as breakfast before school!
I think next time I will try adding bacon to them. You really could personalize these to your tastes... especially if you are eating them right away. Play around with it and see what your favorite combination is! I would love to what you think of them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment