Friday, April 27, 2012

Happy Earth Day!

This past Sunday (April 22) was Earth Day. I hope that everyone took the time to celebrate!

We planted a tree! Okay... technically this wasn't FOR Earth Day. We just happened to plant our new tree the day before Earth Day. My hubby worked all day Sunday, plus, it rained ALL day! Here is a picture of our beautiful new Asian Pear tree in our front yard!


Over the past few years, we have removed all of the landscaping that was here when we bought the house. We have been replacing them with edible landscaping. We like the idea of planting things that have a dual purpose.

I am also very big on teaching my children about Reduce - Reuse - Recycle.
We try to find new uses for things that would normally be thrown out. Thanks to Pinterest, I have found some really great ways to reuse some of our stuff. I made my own fabric softener using stuff that I had around the house (post with pictures coming soon!) where I was able to reuse the last bottle that I had purchased. My favorite, though, would have to be the DVD Coloring Case. (She also has an updated post for the DVD Coloring Case). I am in the process of making one of these for each of my boys. I think a post will be coming about this one as well. (I'm going to give them to the boys as a gift from the baby... I think when I am in the hospital. So, I won't be sure how they like them until the baby arrives.) It is a great way to use some stuff that I have laying around the house.

We took a break from technology on Earth Day. Even though it was dark and rainy, we did not turn on any lights. I kept the TV off, no video games for the kids, lunch didn't need electricity. It was nice to see the kids just play with toys and read their books. :)


What sort of things did you and your family do for Earth Day?



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment