Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer vacation is finally here!!

School is officially over for the summer!! We LOVE to cookout on our grill and just hanging out outside! When I was a kid, I was a Girl Scout. In the summer time, we used to cook hot dogs and s'mores over a fire. It is one of my favorite experiences of being in the Girl Scouts. :) I have 2 boys - ages 8 1/2 years and 10 1/2 months- and I wanted them to try s'mores. The only problem with that... we don't have a fire pit, and with small kids I do not want to have a bonfire! We were at the grocery store one day when we came across this: It's S'MORE to LOVE! A brilliant invention for people to make s'mores any time of year! You can make them in the oven, the toaster oven, or even on a grill! I made them in my toaster oven. (I should probably point out that I have been told by many that I have a much larger toaster oven than most. It fits very nicely in mine.) Here is a picture of the s'mores starting to cook. I bought extra large marshmallows. They are a size bigger than the normal jumbo marshmallows. They worked... but not as well as I had thought. Since marshmallows expand in heat, the S'MORE to LOVE didn't stay latched. You can see in the picture below that it "popped" open.
I was able to get to latch again once the marshmallows got soft and mushy. Here is a picture of them as soon as they came out of the toaster oven. I think they were only in for about 5 minutes or so.
Here is a close up. Don't they look yummy???
When you put the s'mores together, the S'MORE to LOVE is actually upside from what it is in the pictures. ( I forgot to take pictures of the initial stage.) You stack it graham cracker, 2 squares/rectangles of chocolate, marshmallow, then the second graham cracker piece.
If we use the extra large marshmallows again, I'd use chocolate on top of and below the marshmallow. They were almost too big, and the flavor took over. Below are pictures of 4 of the 6 that we made.
It was so nice to be able to have s'mores without needing fire! The kids LOVED them!! It was delicious!
I am so glad that we found this at the grocery store!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment