Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fresh Blueberry Pancakes

On Monday we made our second visit of the year to a local farm that carries a variety of produce through out the season. The farm's owner are very nice and friendly. They are not Mennonite or Amish.... given the area that I live in, I felt some may be curious. They both used to be teachers and are now retired. The wife keeps an antique shop behind their produce stand. The husband can usually be found out with his crops. If you see him, he is very willing to talk to you about what he grows and how things are going. We enjoy supporting local farms. We also like that we know where the food comes from and how the plants are treated. We bought a quart of each that they had- black raspberries, gooseberries, and blueberries. Their blueberries are probably the best I have ever tasted!! While we enjoy eating fresh fruit as is, we wanted to eat the delicious blueberries as part of something.... muffins, pancakes, ice cream topping, etc. We decided on pancakes for supper. I had never made blueberry pancakes before. As it turns out, it was a quick and easy meal! I used one of those Bisquick bottles that you add 1 1/2 cups of water to and it makes 12-15 pancakes. My pancakes were probably 4-5" (in diameter) and made closer to 20 pancakes. I made the batter per the directions. Once they started to cook on the stove, I added a few blueberries to each. I found that worked the best for the blueberries. They didn't get overcooked because they weren't on the stove for too long. I really wish that I would have taken pictures of the blueberries and the blueberry pancakes! They look as good as they tasted!! I am hoping to get back to get some more. I'd love to have fresh blueberry muffins for breakfast! My husband and boys are rooting for more pancakes! When I get back for some more, I will make sure to post some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment