Friday, October 21, 2011

Crock Pot Recipe - My Vegetable Soup

I am very much in love with my crock pot once fall comes around. I have a 6 quart Stay and Go Crock Pot. It is programmable and just awesome! Next time I make this, I'll try to remember to take pictures to add later.

Lisa's Crock Pot Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:

1 box of vegetable broth (you can substitute another kind if you like)
Potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks
1 lb ground beef - seasoned and browned
Carrots - peeled and sliced (or you can use baby carrots and just cut them up )
Onions - chopped
Green Cabbage - shredded or cut up into bit size pieces
1 - 14oz can of whole kernel corn (use 2 if you use the Nibblets) with the juice
1 -14oz can of sweet peas
About half a pound of fresh green beans - washed and cut into bite size pieces
Water
Seasonings of your choice - I use Curry, Celery Powder, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Oregano, Paprika, Rosemary, Basil Leaves, Mustard Powder and anything else that I feel like throwing in that day. It always turns out a little different!


Directions:

I start by browning the meat. I season that with a little curry and celery powder. While that is cooking, I start adding everything else to my crock. I add the stock first, then everything else follows.... usually however I cut it up is how it gets put it in. I add water at the end to fill up the crock pot. I enjoy the broth... but do not enjoy the cost of 2 boxes of broth.

I turn it on before I add the stock to it, and I set it to low heat for 6 hours. My crock pot has a few different options for programming it. I found this to be the easiest to start out. I can always change it later. Sometimes I start the soup when my oldest gets on the bus. So, it will cook from about 9am to about 5:30/6pm. Most times I start it around lunchtime, though. I stir occasionally and often taste test. I tend to add more seasonings at some point.

You can add any other vegetables that you want. I, personally, like the taste of the canned vegetables over frozen vegetables. I do sometimes use frozen vegetable mixes along with fresh or canned veggies. It depends on what I have vs what's on sale. I never use frozen peas, though.... canned peas taste much better! This is a family favorite in my house and over the winter I make it at least once a week!  Enjoy! :)



Updated to add pictures:

Since I am adding these after the fact, I decided to add them to the end of the post.

Carrots

Cabbage

Red Potato

Sweet Potato (it wasn't too bad in the soup)

Onion

After everything was added to the crock and stirred. 
Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment